Pages

15.1.11

Oops

I am proud to say I honestly don't care anymore, if you didn't happen to gather that from That's Why Fireflies Flash II. I'm completely done with the whole thing... well not completely. I've still got a few things I've got to do, but you'll hear about that once that has been completed. I'm hoping that those were the last of the aggravating blog posts for a while. 

In other news, we performed School House Rock last weekend which was amazing! 
That reminds me that I had another 'freshman musical theatre exam moment' recently.
And I've just come to realize that I never posted about that. Okay, well, let me fix that.

At the end of the last semester, we had to take exams for every class we were in, no matter what grade we had accumulated over that grading period. Which meant my musical theatre class had an exam as well, but this exam wasn't going to written in any form or fashion. We had to perform in front of the whole class. You could sing, dance or both. You could do it solo, duet, or in a group. Our teacher told us about it on a Monday, to be performed the up-coming Friday or following Monday. The information I had received included the fact that it had to be from a musical. My original plan-a duet with one of the guys in the class-officially fell through on the Wednesday of that week. So Wednesday night, I had to search for a song to do on my own. Disney was my savior. My first thought had been 'Reflections' from the movie Mulan, but upon looking through the top Disney songs, I was reminded of the song 'Part of Your World' from The Little Mermaid. I quickly decided on that song and got everything I needed for it. Our Christmas performance was that Thursday so there wasn't very much practice before-hand. I had to cram the lyrics into my head in two days. I had at least two sheets of paper that I had copied the lyrics onto to try to get them to come to me from memory. And besides, I can't start singing the song in the middle of class to see if I remember them. The song was running through my head non-stop. It was ridiculous, but I was set on nailing this. None of the class had ever really heard me sing before, so I wanted to get it right. 
So Friday comes and after having Adrienne help me on the bus on the way there, I felt prepared and confident that I was gonna nail it. 
Not very many people wanted to go Friday. I think there was only like four or five that went. I was the last one. I was hesitant at first. I had found out that day that it didn't actually have to be from a musical, so I was considering a change in song, but I wanted to get it over with and I'm glad I did because the other song wouldn't have been as good to perform anyway, although it's an amazing song (I Love You 5 by Never Shout Never). I was also hesitant because neither Dederick or the original duet 'idea' partner was there. I decided to go anyway. My adrenaline was going since the moment I stepped into the room. I retrieved my CD right as Dederick and the other guy walked in. 
Now I was completely ready. 
I tell the teacher and everyone else the song I'm singing and everyone smiles, even the teacher. (My dad had her as a chorus teacher (as I do now as well) when he was in high school. Now it was my turn to show her that she had another Hornbuckle to look forward to)
The music starts and I start to sing the song and I could tell, they were surprised. A few of the people who were mouthing the words had stopped to listen. Pretty much everyone was smiling. The teacher, probably the most as she continued to mouth the words. I knew they liked it.
After the song, I was reassured that everyone liked it. After the applause, I was overwhelmed with "Where have you been hiding?" "She (teacher) is gonna be given you all the solos next year!" and the one I heard the most was "I don't know what to say to you." The duet guy said with loads of obvious astonishment in his voice, "I didn't know you could sing like that!" Haha, I know. (I was glad that he didn't do it with me when he sang his. Wow. Not meant to be rude, but no.)
Another guy in the class (who did a gorgeous dance routine on that Monday with Dederick and one of the girls in the class that almost had me at tears) summoned me over to where he was sitting to bombard be with,"Where have you been hiding?" "You've got a gorgeous voice!" "Where did you get that voice?" and some other things that I don't remember. 
Nevertheless, I walked out of there on cloud ten (not nine) not because I'm stuck up and now thought I was better than everyone else, but because for once I actually felt like I could walk into such a talented class and belong. It was such a great feeling. 

I would continue by sharing my more recent event, but I think this post is long enough. Woops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh! Are you going to comment? Great! :D
I read all comments, so you don't have to worry about your opinion going unread.
Constructive criticism is always accepted and highly appreciated!
So please, tell me what you think!
Completely,
Battle Butterfly
The writer